Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Catch Our Breath

My whole life I've struggled w/ breathing. As long as I can remember I've had asthma and so whenever I would play sports or the seasons would change I would struggle to breathe and have numerous asthma attacks. I used to pray that God would take my asthma away b/c I've always viewed it as my "thorn" or my weakness. But God never did and today, I still struggle w/ asthma.
However, as years have gone by I've been able to keep my asthma under control w/ the help of inhalers that both help prevent attacks and bring relief when I have one. And b/c of these devices, I'm able to be as active as I want to be, even as the seasons change.
That said, even though I've have inhalers, breathing and keeping my lungs healthy is always a priority. This is why I try my best to stay in shape by running or playing basketball and don't smoke. Yet, as dedicated as I am to my physical condition and despite using my inhalers, I still have asthma attacks. And sometimes the only thing that rescues me from an attack is to stop and rest so I can get my breathing under control.

I believe we live in a chaotic and wild world full of stress, business, and worry. We run at a fast pace, going from here/there, to this/that event, to meet this/that deadline. We go through fast food drive-ins for quick meals, consume loads of coffee, caffeine, and energy drinks that keep us hyped up and on the move.

There was a time when we used to look forward to the weekends, but even these are full of all day sporting events and yard work, that leaves us tired and worn out by Sunday night. And call me "old fashion" but there was even a time when Sunday was a day of rest. You know, when grocery stores and restaruants weren't open? Where have those days gone?

So we look forward to vacations. We look forward to that beach house by the ocean or the cabin in the mountains that is in the middle of nowhere, right? That is nowhere except our cell phones, laptops, television and all other technological "noise" we bring w/ us. Have you ever said or heard someone say something like, "I need a vacation after my vacation!"? Why is that? Some people save for months and years to take a great vacation and make all of the planning arrangments in advanced so all they have to do is get to where ever they are going. But, they end up taking "work" w/ them. Seems pointless doesn't it?
Sometimes vacations help, kind of like an inhaler helps w/ asthma. We are able to catch our breath for a little bit but it just doesn't seem to work all of the time b/c that trip away is full of more stress and anxiety than staying home.

Life is busy isn't it? So busy sometimes that it's hard for us to breathe. We try to find relief on the weekends and/or on vacation but we just can't seem to catch our breath and we continue to be tired, worn out and full of stress and worry. So what do we do?

NOTHING! What I mean by that is, just like when I have an asthma attack sometimes being in my best physical shape or my inhalers just don't seem to help and the only thing I can do is stop and rest. So when I say we should do "nothing", what I am saying is we need to stop doing whatever it is that is keeping us from catching our breath and rest. I believe that by doing nothing we are actually doing something. And it could be the very thing we need to get us through our stress and worry. Business isn't the problem. We will always be busy. The problem comes when we don't take the time to stop and rest so we can breathe better.

There have been some scary times when I couldn't breathe b/c of an asthma attack and I've had to go the ER. It's b/c of these incidents, I've had to learn to stop and rest. I hope it doesn't take something awful, bad, or scary to happen in our lives before we stop and rest. Something like losing your family, your marriage, or you soul.

Jesus reminds us, "What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?" Matt 16:26)

May we get away from the business and chaos of the world.
May we stop and rest......do nothing.
May we catch our breath.

BW

No comments:

Post a Comment