Monday, April 13, 2009

More than a Dime

The other day when it wasn't raining I might add, I was shooting baskets in my driveway. It was warm and sunny, w/ a little breeze. It was the perfect day for being outside and getting a little exercise.
Its around 11:30 a.m. and our mail was on its way. Our mail man, driving his white pick-up truck was getting closer to our house. The way he delivers to us is he drives by our house and goes to those who live behind us first. Then makes his way back towards our house and mail box. So he drives by our driveway where I am shooting baskets. And so since I am outside, I stop him and receive my mail directly from his hand.
Well today was a little different b/c other than the usual "junk" we get in the mail he had a package for us. So he hands the envelopes and tells me he has something to give to me. He then gets out of his truck, makes a few comments about the weather, and goes to the back of his truck to get my package. I thank him for his work and begin to walk away.
As I walk away to put the mail and the package into the house, he says, "Hey it looks like you lost a dime." I explain I am not sure if it's mine but he can keep it if he wants. I mean its just a dime right? But then he says that he isn't sure who's it is and since its in my driveway, I aught to keep it. So he gives me the dime and I say thanks.

Now, I am not sure whose dime it was. It could of been his and fallen out of his truck when he got out to give me my package for all I knew. Or it could of been mine and fallen out of one my vehicles at some point. I don't know. But what I do know is that, this is not really about a dime at all. In fact, this is about more than a dime. This is about being honest.

Leviticus 19:11 says, "Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another."

Certanily the Bible has a lot more to say about lying but looking at this passage, God is serious about being honest and the way we aught to treat each other. I mean, my mail man could of lied and taken the dime. But what good would it have been for him to steal a dime? Would it really be worth disobeying God for a dime?

But this about more than a dime isn't it? Is there really anything worth lying about and disobeying God for? No.

But we see this all of the time right? Politicians lie. Celebrities lie. Buisness men lie. Athletes lie. Christians lie. Its not uncommon to see something in the media about someone getting caught in a lie. And the sad part is that we are so used to it, that it doesn't even matter anymore.

Is the dime really worth it? Is what you are lying about really worth hurting someone? Is it really worth hurting God.

Trust is something that is so fragile.....something that isn't easily given..... and is something that is easily broken. My mail man showed me that he could be trusted. He showed me by giving me a dime that neither one of us knew who it belonged to.

But this is about more than a dime. Its about being honest. Its about being trustworthy. Its about being obedient to God.

So may we be people who are honest w/ our lives, trustworthy w/ our words, and obedient to God in our actions.

B/c it is really about more than a dime.

BW

No comments:

Post a Comment